For discussing rugby and other bon mots

You are not connected. Please login or register

Super Rugby 2014

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Super Rugby 2014 Empty Super Rugby 2014 Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:37 pm

amz

My favorite rugby tournament is about to kick off.  cheers 

Points of interest for me will be various but I'll look especially to Tier 2 players that make it into the tournament or ones from countries outside of Sanzar like Argentinean young prop Matias Diaz (Highlanders). With many rumors about new franchises to be added from 2016 onward will be interesting to see how players alien to the competition and Sanzar countries systems will cope.

Another interesting prospect is Japanese utility back (fly-half, inside center) Tatekawa. Hooker Horie and half back Tanaka proved that they can adapt to a completely different environment compared with Japan. Back to this fly-half, he is a very well rounded player, has a great passing game. It isn't just a stereotypical Japanese player with flair but no physicality, he can also hold up well tackling big ball carrying centres coming his way and also gain metres taking a direct route and of course has a decent boot which is essential to play 10. Compared with Tanaka he seem to have the physical strength needed to face elite teams. Tatekawa is a very un-Japanese player really. He could easily be a New Zealander with his body size and excellent technical skill. His pass to create the try in 2012 against Romania was something special.

Now back to the franchises, I think Waratahs have a good chance to change their underachievers mark. They seem in good form, they have muscle in the pack (compared with other Oz squads) and a sensational backline on paper. Will be also interesting to see how Brumbies will cope with the loss of Jack White.

For SA franchises my main point of interest will be Sharks under Jack White, probably my favorite coach. Will be interesting to see if he will be able to put back on form Francois Steyn and create a World Class fly-half from Pat Lambie. Boks really need these two guys if they want to have a good chance to next year WC and I think White has a role here. Also I hope Kankowski will be back on form. He's one of my favorite backrows and hopefully under White he won't become just a muscle player like happened with Spies. I like agile and fast backrows and with Mr. Jack White as a master I can see his make it into the Boks squad even if he's not that big as the other contenders. Two great tries from Kankowski:actually forum does not let me to post video links...but I'll edit later this post: New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.

As for NZ franchises I expect a better season from Highlanders and that would be ironic after they were wooden spoon of NZ conference last season with so many ABs in the squad. Will be interesting to see which one of the young hookers will step up to take Hore's place in ABs setup. Favorite looks to be Coles (Hurricanes) but my bet is on Liam Coltman (Higlanders).

2Super Rugby 2014 Empty Re: Super Rugby 2014 Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:30 am

Quind

Admin

Not having Sky anymore I look forward to some updates on this. Rumours are the Brumbies will look to add to the controlled play advocated by White, which isn't a step one takes without risk.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum