Rugby Consultancy

For discussing rugby and other bon mots

You are not connected. Please login or register

How much rugby should young front row players be involved in?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Quind

Admin

This is all lifted from another forum - http://www.nowrugby.com/mb/showthread.php?t=119331

I put this post in another thread a few days ago; which got largely ignored as the thread turned into the match thread for the All Blacks, and just moved on so quickly. I feel it's an important issue though - and one I seem to go on about every year, though never in much detail. It was initially a reply to someone else's post, so may read a little oddly out of context, though I've edited it a little to avoid this.
I thought it deserves a proper airing:

Why I don't think young front row players should play more than ~600 minutes 1st class matches per season before their 23rd birthday.

The growth plates (AKA epiphyseal plates if you fancy heading to google) of the bones fuse around 22-23 years of age; no amount of gym work will change that; luck and normal distribution curves can, but nothing else*. This is nothing to do with size, or weigh, or muscle bulk; it's entirely due to the bones not being strong enough. This is not something you can train; it's a simple fact of life*. It's so much a fact of life, it's how forensic pathologists determine the age of death for skeletons.

At the age of 22 you still have unfused bones in your knee (proximal tibia) and shoulder (humerus head and acromion); which are the ones I'm most interested in (also iliac crest, wrist and plenty in the sacrum, but these are much less important). Spinal ossification ages are much more variable though; tending to fuse (sacrum aside) in the 20-25 age range IIRC; these are typically more stable however, once they start fusing.
Too much force through these areas before fusion causes distortion causing all sorts of problem, including debilitating arthritis before 30 years of age.

OK, some will be lucky, either fusing a year or so earlier than expected, or simply getting away with it; but for every Healey (who may yet need a wheelchair by the time he's 50) there's a Corbisiero; for every Vickery there's a Woodman, for every AJones there's a DFlatman.
Hell it's not just front rowers either, they're just the ones with the most extreme pressure coming through knees and shoulders - look at James Forrester (retired aged 27 through arthritis), or Martin Haag (needed 2 walking sticks by his mid-40s, 1 artificial knee, the other may have been done by now).
It's probably worth pointing out (again) that it's not just their playing career I'm worried about, though it's certainly an issue; I don't like dealing with patients who need knee replacements in their 30s because they or their coaches were idiots 15 years earlier. It's also not just the top class players; it's just that they're an exaggeration of this, with more training, and more force whilst playing.

ETA to demonstrate and spot the difference: X-ray on the left is a ~20 year old; right is a ~23 year old. Which do you think looks stronger / better developed?

Good summary of the ages of ossification for the long bones here:

* well, almost, I think there are some drug cocktails based around testosterone and human growth hormone that can speed up fusion - please note, these are banned under WADA, and very easily tested for

Quind

Admin

The lad who wrote that is a physio, and does know his stuff. He is a Bath fan, but we probably shouldn't hold that against him.

Wilz

Quind wrote:
He is a Bath fan, but we probably shouldn't hold that against him.

Umm...

Quind

Admin

Now that's a perfect example of a Bath fan setting out issues as best they can, and bless them it's about the most coherence they can muster

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum