6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1England Vs Ireland Empty England Vs Ireland Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Quind

Admin

Sounds like Wilson might if fit return to the bench. Tuilagi out for the 6N

2England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Raggs

Keep hearing mixed reports on Tuilagi, but I think likely out, if for no other reason than Burrell is going OK, and a few more caps on our replacement 13, and potential future 12, wouldn't hurt.

Yarde may be back for the last two, but no idea who he'd replace. Lets see if May still gets away with going sideways.

3England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:26 pm

amz

I think one of the few gains of this 6N until now is Burrell who looks to settle fast in England squad. I had no doubts about Twelwetrees and I think he's a very interesting option from a tactical point of view, there are very few centers that can act as playmakers and carriers in the same time.

What is needed now is some missiles to launch and another option to fly-half. Watson is a good idea if the rumor he'll be on the bench is true. What I don't like and this is a general thing is that some coaches have the impression that fullbacks and wingers are interchangeable which is not really the case. While tactically yes, you might need a second fullback and credit to the Frenchies, they knew how to use Huget and Medard.

About this specific game I think that it will be the first one when English pack will have issues. I think the Irish ruck it's at its best and will be difficult to overcome this even by English forwards.

Lastly, Lancaster has trained himself. The bench was obviously badly chosen vs French and the fact that stood with it vs Scotland I think it shows that he acknowledged the mistake yet he wants to show he's the boss. Scotland wasn't a treat, really, it was an awful display. Too bad for them because on the paper they have quite some talent there.

4England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Courage1989

Courage1989

It's going to be hard. I actually think we're going to do quite well, but obviously I'm basing that on forward dominance.

Shutting down POM will be the first thing that comes to Lancaster's mind, as well as the rolling maul. If we do this, we stand a good chance. POM's been excellent and quite intimidating the first 2 games, and the maul as usual under Schmidt is excellent.

If we starve them of ball at that point, we'll be in quite handy shape. That said, Ireland haven't really had to do too much to win both games. Simplistic but effective against Wales, but Wales clearly weren't up to much and Phillips was a hinderance for them, and Scotland, we'll we did better away than they did at home. Then again, Johnson is a woeful coach.

Be interesting what happens with the press and ex players calling for the likes of Ford and Watson to get bench starts, Lancaster usually doesn't listen, but I think if there's a game to start them in, in this championship, it's at home, when the team is feeling good about itself.

5England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:33 pm

amz

I think Lancaster was too precautious...when to start younger players, really? Look at Saint Andre (who was target of the jokes last year for the wooden spoon) how bold he was when he decided will start with Plisson and used Fickou as a impact sub along with that dynamite Machenaud.

Last edited by amz on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

6England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Quind

Admin

In picking Barritt and Goode it would seem we've been looking at the WC squad. In essence given you need to trim the squad down to 30, and I don't think that's been changed yet, can we get cross position coverage from a few players.

7England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:05 pm

amz

I agree Lancaster is doing things with an eye to WC but Goode and Barritt are known quantity at test level while other talented young players are missing important game time.

8England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Quind

Admin

I wouldn't pick Barritt and Goode absent of a number of injuries, and then they both either start or miss out for me rather than bench. Though I think we're looking at WC development, basically take the EPS which has 17 backs I think, remove 3 and then think about who can give what options.

There are a number of problems in the squad and XV which have been built in going back some time now, but this close to the WC that's basically how it is.

9England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:35 am

Raggs

Just watched the ireland wales game again in better detail. Wales were poor, and then absolutely dire in the first half, then like last year hit the ground running in the 2nd half.

On watching though, it's given me a bit more confidence for England, since I believe our breakdown work will be better, and I'd hope our maul defence wouldn't be as bad. Add to that the fact we have decent carriers in the tight and I think we've got a decent chance, even in the backs.

10England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Quind

Admin

Frankly the England team of last weekend would have to work fairly hard to lose to the Ireland team of last weekend. Ireland with SOB, Ferris, Bowe and Zebo would have much better options to hurt England, as is I think Ireland need England to fall apart at the set piece and/or breakdown

11England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Raggs

Have to say on first (poor) viewing of the wales ireland game they seemed to be really in control (and they were), but Wales really offered very very little. I'd certainly expect England to handle Ireland.

12England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Raggs

Don't know when or if Goode came off, but Mako played 70 mins for sarries, he was the only forward going forward.

13England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Courage1989

Courage1989

Ford excellent again today, I'd be stunned if he doesn't get picked as a sub in the game against Ireland or Wales.

Watson also was decent again. A good thing for both really, Ford's pressure is beginning to mount for a spot, at least imo anyway. He's not far away now.

14England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Courage1989

Courage1989

I'd also point out trying the kids out consistently is doing the side well. He's made the guys with defensive questions, mainly May, wait and make them develop. Similar thing may be happening with Watson.

It's paid dividends as May was very decent against Scotland even in retched conditions. That said, Scotland didn't do anything so I may be spoofing myself Sad

15England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 pm

Admin

Admin

If only he did the same thing with passing. There are now a worrying number of England backs who rarely combine passing the ball, and doing so with accuracy and purpose, mostly they save themselves a problem by simply not passing. Farrell is getting better (though he's not acceptable yes), but Burrell, May and Brown do not link play well, and 12T for all he can pass is still quite likely to throw the ball at the floor

https://rugbyconsultancy.board-directory.net

16England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:54 am

Raggs

Watson had some fantastic moments, and some truly dire ones (forward pass into touch?), and seemed very reluctant to kick the ball. Game was a very good show in my mind why people are calling for Watson all the time, and why I'm going to stick to saying not yet thanks.

17England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15 am

Courage1989

Courage1989

The first XV will stay the same but Lancaster is tempted to have Watson and Ford on the bench for Ireland.

Reported in the Mail.

18England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:27 am

Raggs

I don't see that in the article, I see he's thinking about the bench, and that the flyhalves in particular are an issue, but don't see about Watson, where is it?

19England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:37 pm

quick

Will have to watch the bath game

20England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Quind

Admin

the Exeter game is well worth a watch when it comes up on the AP site

21England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Courage1989

Courage1989

Just watched the match.

Ford was great. Really really good.

Devoto has come on leaps and bounds too.

22England Vs Ireland Empty Re: England Vs Ireland Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:26 am

Admin

Admin

Where will Devoto go now Burgess is on his way? Quins might be a decent shout looking at some other top rated teams in the AP

https://rugbyconsultancy.board-directory.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum