For discussing rugby and other bon mots

You are not connected. Please login or register

TMO rulings

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1TMO rulings Empty TMO rulings Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Quind

Admin

Bit of a mess at the moment. I noted earlier I wouldn't mind for when it came to tries of they reworded the laws such as there was always a need to prove a try shouldn't be awarded, still pondering that one.

The change I might actually make prior to handing the call over to the TMO is for the ref (following consultation with the TJ) to state what the onfield decision is, then the TMO would need to establish a clear reason not to go with the onfield decision. As is the refs are not required to specify their position, so there's no accountability being established, nor primacy for the onfield officials. So if the TMO agrees with the ref decisions stays as is, if the decision is clearly wrong the ref can be advised to overturn, and if it's not clear it's a bad call from the ref we stay with the onfield decision. So some similarities with cricket's DRS, and if Skand reads this he may note another sport it'd be similar to (but we'll ignore that as this is clearly original thinking on my part)

2TMO rulings Empty Re: TMO rulings Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Raggs

Erm. That sounds exactly like the current 2 question system in effect.

The on field decision is either Try, leading to, any reason not to (unless the decision is clearly wrong). Or No Try, which is try yes/no, where if there's no evidence of a try, no try is given.

All you're doing is playing with the wording.

3TMO rulings Empty Re: TMO rulings Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Quind

Admin

The current system still allows for the ref to be vague, a ref right now could ask try yes or no and get a tmo ruling without telling us what they think upfront. Also at the weekend Peyper asked is there any reason I can't award, and then came very close to ruling out the try before the tmo answered the question he'd been asked and the ref ended up not backing what he felt he'd seen on the big screen. It is a mess now

I'd clarify it such the ref has to make a ruling before going to the tmo, and I'd only have it so the tmo is only being used to overturn clearly incorrect decisions, and I think in forcing the ref to rule and then go to the tmo we might spend less of our lives waiting for the tmo

4TMO rulings Empty Re: TMO rulings Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Raggs

Nope, Peyper only mentioned the arm after the TMO had told him there's no reason not to award the try. Which is a bigger screwup in many ways.

I don't think your suggestion would make any difference. Unless we have a system in which the TMO looks at the try and the buildup after the event, and contacts the ref before the restart if something needs to change.

5TMO rulings Empty Re: TMO rulings Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Quind

Admin

It forces the ref to make public what they've seen and how they'd rule, that may or may not discourage them to then use the tmo, it sets context for the tmo ruling, and it avoids the sort of mess we're seeing too often of the refs not asking the right questions and not knowing what to do with the responses.

It's actually working quite well in cricket. Where decisions are only reversed if clearly wrong, anything that falls in a margin of error stays with the onfield call.

Also I'm not sure that's right on Peyper, I thought he was talking to the tmo and was saying he thought there was an arm, then the tmo told him there was no reason not to award the try, i.e. I haven't seen it held up per se, and then Peyper seemingly got confused (or had been reminded what question he actually asked) and awarded the try despite what he seemed to think having seen the footage.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum